A few weeks ago I shot a picture story at Oak Hill youth detention center in Laurel, Md. This is where many of the kids that are involved in violent crimes in Washington D.C. end up. The place opened my eyes to possibilities of rehabilitation but also spoke volumes to the severity of the issues on the streets. Here is a poem written by a boy - I will keep his name private.
RIP Crack, Ant, and Alcuz, My Tribute
"Im going to miss you dudes, man...
Crack was one of my closest friends, we put in work together, we played girls together, man, we basically lived together. We were at the dinner table together and for me to call home from jail and hear you got stabbed 30 times, man, that messed me up a lot man, but you are in a better place.
Ant, we was in the same class even though you was three years older than me, but I didn't look at you any different. You was my man, we did bamma stuff together and I'll never forget that you beat people for me and even though I was from another neighborhood than you was, I miss you.
Last but not least Alcuz, man not you. For me to call home and they tell me Alcuz got shot in the head, that crushed me Alcuz, you was one of the older dudes around the way that I liked the most. When ninjas was messing you stood up for me and I respect that.
Gone but not forgotten, all three of y'all. See you soon. I cried for all y'all."
-GQ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment